If nothing else, COVID-19 has introduced many of us to a whole new level of technology – that of the video conference. The Zoom world! And Zoom isn’t the only application….Go To Meeting, Skype, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Webex, are just a few of the video conferencing application that are prevalent.
Herod Financial Services uses Zoom (easy to use with increased security features each week) and Go To Meeting (has always been very secure) predominantly and sometimes Skype and Webex when someone else is more comfortable in those applications. However, using video conferencing software has not been without it challenges.
We are all tired and fatigued, but in a new way. This comes from:
- Sitting and staring at a screen for too long
- Using our brains differently to process information from a new kind of input…in other words, we are experiencing “brain drain”
- Finding new ways to understand the context of communication…we are used to meeting in person and having access to body language and non-verbal cues. They are very hard to get over a computer screen, so we lose out on the benefits of being face-to-face and the social interaction that makes our jobs so much fun
- Being alone…. we are lonely, lose track of time and find ourselves working at the oddest times of day. There are no defining boundaries for our day such as driving to and from work or going out for lunch
If we’re experiencing this, we figure most of you are feeling the same challenges either in your work environment or personal life talking to family over video conferencing apps. So here are resources we’ve gathered to help make video conference work from home and the resulting isolation during COVID-19 a little less stressful.
- Move. You may be in a restricted area but get up and run around your home or take a car ride
- Take a Break. During the day…do something other than look at a screen. Schedule time between video conferences to give your brain something else to do…like cook dinner, finish a puzzle. During the week….take days off…step away from the screen for the whole day.
- Rest your eyes. Look out the window, often fatigue comes from staring at screens.
- Tech and Work Room. Allocate one room as a work and tech room. Keep your technology and work in that room. Avoid spreading out all over the house.
- Dress for Success. Create rituals around your work…set hours, dress for work and make sure everyone else is aware of your work time
- Happy Meetings. Start and end your meeting with some light and gentle chit-chat. Ask people how they are doing; what is the weather like where they are. Check out of the meetings with some care….How was the call for you; What did you learn; What could be improved
- Habit Management. Make sure your habits are geared toward stress reduction – sleeping, eating (not overeating), hydrating, working with the rhythms of your body (such as doing the heavy brain lifting in the morning and lighter, less intense tasks in the afternoon)
- Affirmations. Be selfish. Do something that is just about who you are….crazy dancing, singing at the top of your lungs, reading a great book (in paper format not digital form), hobbies such as scrapbooking, woodworking, etc.
- The New You. Find something new to do that will help you transition from lockdown to gradual freedom. Take up sewing, gardening (indoor pot gardening or outdoor), writing, etc. By the time we are let loose, you could have a new wardrobe, food or flowers to share with your family and friends or the next best seller.
But most of all, be kind to yourself. Video conferencing, although a great way to stay connected, will never take the place of face to face meetings where we can hug each other, joke with each other and share a meal or an activity together. We are looking forward to the day when we can see you again….but in the meantime, please know that the team at Herod Financial Services misses seeing you in person and we are working behind the scenes to make sure that we all emerge from the restrictions of COVID-19 with as few scrapes and bruises as possible.
The Team at Herod Financial Services